Power & Heat
- Gasifier info: https://wiki.opensourceecology.org/wiki/Gasifier_Burner (take with grain of salt; these people think cars are necessary for civilization)
- Solar cooking
- can rocket stove that looks like a better design than what I've tried in the past. Site also has a good vertical axis wind turbine design, and suggests getting discarded alu sheet from offset-printing / lithography shops
- Lamellar Roof - roof framing w/ cylindrical shape; built from short segments of (usually) dimensional lumber bolted together
Fabrication & Materials
- natural composites
- finishes you can apply while naked
- database of natural materials - mostly bioplastics, geopolymers, and stuff that can act as feedstock for 3d printing
- Speed Tape - aluminum tape for high-airspeed applications
- Origami simulator and more Computational Origami Resources
- Miura (corrugated) fold video
- Origami can be hardened with MinWax
- Tomohiro Tachi does research on tesselations, many of them collapsible and/or structural. See research & software sections, and his Flickr
- Large rigid structures from thick panels made by sandwiching canvas between cardboard: [https://tsg.ne.jp/TT/cg/ThickRigidOrigami_tachi_5OSME.pdf]
- Stiff structures from collapsible tubes
- Biopaper - sounds like kombucha leather, but made by a papermaker (also, pretty transparent) and used in some cases for origami tessalations
- Samira Boon does collapsible origami with digitally-woven textiles, including collaborations with T. Tachi (above) and some work on designs intended for space
- An attempt at using x-form spans made out of cloth with a wooden dowel frame to create collapsible shelters for travelers on the Camino De Santiago
- options for "giant outdoor origami paper"
- tensegrity wheelchair on the tensegrity wiki
- chair partial tensegrity
- adjustable grip hitch is a useful knot! If making a loop of string/rope that you want to adjust, it can be turned around so it works better - not sure how to explain!
- e-waste recycling gizmo - grinds ewaste and separates components w/ magnets and eddy current induction
- 3mules - guy travels the west coast with his three mules, living outside!
- $1300 spend on bike lanes in NYC = one quality-adjusted life year when averaged over all city residents.
- car crashes are the #1 cause of death for children in the US - where "children" are people under 19. Car crashes account for 20% of child deaths, with everything firearm-related in second place at 15%.
- "We recognize that efficiency is a function of vehicle weight as compared to its cargo weight - another form of the Golden Ratio. The principle is simple: If the cargo weighs more than the vehicle itself - as in a person riding a bicycle - then you are approaching true efficiency. The trick is to have a vehicle/cargo ratio of LESS THAN 1." - Bill Stites, designer of the Truck Trike
- a unique direct-drive bakfiets
- python-style recumbents, including some folding versions
- Finnish recumbent builders forum
- tilting vehicles south africa - focus on free-to-caster tiliting vehicles
- Bicycle Geometry, among other topics, courtesy of NightRider
- bamboo 'bent - French, there's probably a thread on velorizontal
Bike Routes & Maps
- komoot - apparently has been used by some suntrippers?
E-Bikes, esp. with solar
- GRIN Tech's Sun Trip tandem
- Solar Catrike Road conversion, with details on all the components used
- lightweight rigid solar panels
- solar ebike build for round-the-world trip - sun tracking trailer; really a lot of research went into this build. blog here with lots of good info on matching battery, charge controller, and panel. He's a professional solar installer and gets into the technical details really well.
- Sunbeam MAXA - seems like a decent panel, not super-high-priced but not a cheapo either
- PingBattery sells LiFePO4 packs and comes recommended. About $1/Wh
- LiGo battery from ebikes.ca is modular and has really good protections for current, voltage, temp, etc.
Fiber & Textiles
- environmental data intended for use w/ animal tracking - seems like it could be useful for something?